According to a huge new government study, the COVID-19 virus-infected patients in five states in December 2019 and early 2020; the infections happened before those states reported their first cases, revealing new insights into the nation’s fatal epidemic’s first, undiscovered weeks.
Researchers testing samples for a National Institutes of Health research project discovered seven persons infected with the new virus in states; they ranged from Mississippi to Wisconsin to Pennsylvania, days or weeks before the first cases were verified in their region. At least a number of people experienced minor symptoms.
Clinical Infectious Diseases, a peer-reviewed publication, published their findings online on Tuesday.
GOP senators call for HHS and NIH to hand over records on COVID-19 origins and Wuhan lab https://t.co/DleNLRPxx0
— Senator Rand Paul (@RandPaul) June 15, 2021
How Far Did the Virus Go Before We Discovered it?
According to the researchers, two samples, one collected from an Illinois resident and the other from a Massachusetts resident, date from January 7 and 8, 2020, respectively. According to the researchers, antibodies discovered in the samples appear roughly two weeks after a person has been infected.
The tiny number of COVID-19 particles discovered in frozen, stored blood samples suggests that early instances in the United States were infrequent.
In total, the researchers identified signs of infection in just nine of the 24,079 participants; their blood samples were taken for the NIH research program between January 2, 2020 and March 18, 2020.
Former CDC director Redfield explains why he believes COVID-19 emerged from lab, WHO 'compromised'https://t.co/6axVjX1VH1
— Fox News (@FoxNews) June 15, 2021
Nonetheless, the findings show that the novel coronavirus infected Americans before the rest of the world discovered it was responsible for a catastrophic epidemic in Wuhan, China. Two of the cases happened weeks prior health officials established the virus arrived in the United States and began widespread testing.
It allows us to understand a very little bit more about the geographic spread of the virus in those early days of the U.S. epidemic, according to Keri Althoff. Altthoff is the lead author and associate professor of epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore.
According to Dr. Althoff, the cases discovered show that the new virus was being seeded in states that weren’t really on our radar before this.
USA Helps Mexico with Vaccines
1.35 million vials of Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccination arrived in Mexico on Tuesday, according to a White House official.
In collaboration with Direct Relief and the governments of the two nations, FedEx Express carried the vaccination consignment from Memphis, Tennessee, to Toluca, Mexico, via FedEx International Freight.
As we emerge from one of the darkest periods of our history, we can't forget the ones we leave behind. There are 600,000 dinner tables with an empty chair tonight. In the name of all those we have lost, we must do our part to end this pandemic for good.https://t.co/WeJvxHmGpM
— Amy Klobuchar (@amyklobuchar) June 15, 2021
The Biden administration announced earlier this month that by the end of June, it expected to share 80 million vaccine shots globally; this includes six million intended for friends and partners such as Mexico, Canada, and a dozen others, as well as UN staff members.
According to the administration, COVAX will contribute 75% of the vaccines; the remaining 25% will be shared for emergency needs and to help with global outbreaks.